The buzz around the holidays has already ensued and I for one am giddy to jump on board. With Thanksgiving just three weeks away the talk of what are we doing, who’s bringing what or where everyone is going is been the topic of conversation. While I know what my agenda will be (cuddling a newborn!) here are ten other fun ideas to help you get excited for the holiday ahead.
Above top to bottom, left to right:
1. Help out the host and get busy in the kitchen. My personal favorites that I usually bring to the table are sweet potato coins and brussel sprouts with nuts and grapes. However I made this bourbon pumpkin cheesecake last year and got some serious pats on the back as people scraped their plates and went back for seconds.
2. El Capitan Canyon, just north of Santa Barbara has the glamping experience down with safari-style tents and log cabins. When I heard they were hosting a family style Thanksgiving I had to share the news. I couldn’t think of a more fun way to spend the holiday with family and friends.
3. Get your friends together who aren’t heading home for a Friends-giving dinner. Ask everyone to bring a little something to lessen the stress of doing it all.
4. If you are heading home make a mini road trip out of it and take the scenic route.
5. There’s nothing like a post Turkey Day game. My personal favorite is Scrabble. Get your game face on and have a tournament.
6. I’m crossing my fingers that it rains just so I can find a cozy spot to curl up for a while. If you’re able to find some peace and quiet grab a book and soak in the downtime.
7. At my dad’s house, the day after Thanksgiving usually involves a good hike. I always drag my feet a bit but afterwards it’s the best feeling in the world and you’ve earned that plate of leftovers.
8. Cozy knits galore. There’s no better time to snag a new find or pull out some new favorites. I currently have my eye on these…
9. Pass the
stuffing sun tan lotion. There’s always the urge to jet off somewhere tropical. Bora Bora, Turks and Caicos? Time to plot the escape now.
10. Not into cooking? Offer to dress up the table with floral arrangements. Pick up fall colors, dried leaves and have a little fun.