With the tail end of summer upon us we’ve been taking every opportunity to soak in a little time at the beach. And to me there’s no better place than Fernald’s Point in Santa Barbara. It’s a spot thats tucked away to the left of Miramar Beach and feels just like the coastline of France near Biarritz. Each time we go its like a mini vacation to Europe, minus the topless crowd. Days like these have been dominating my wardrobe requiring lightweight and easy cover ups. This one by Bell has been a recent favorite because after the beach I throw on a pair of jeans with it for dinner. The cut and design is also super flattering and I dare say functional when it comes to modest suntanning. Oh, and they make mini tunics for the kiddos—cute overload.
And since I’m on the sandy topic, below I’m spilling the beans on the best beaches here in Santa Barbara…
- Fernald’s Point, pictured above and my personal favorite.
- Hammond’s Beach, a gem year round. During the winter months you’ll find some pretty great tide pools here.
- Rincon Point, the most famous surf break in our neck of the woods. You’re likely to see a handful of pros paddling out on a good day.
- El Capitan State Beach (and/or) Refugio State Beach. The two or right next to each other and as far north as you can go before Hollister Ranch. The coastline is something spectacular and you can camp at the end of the day.
- Hendry’s Beach. Dog friendly and there’s a great restaurant (The Boathouse) so you can go for a walk and have a bite after. This one also happens to be my childhood stomping grounds and the very place where I first met my husband—obvious winner.
Photography by Arna Bee